Asbestos is being talked about now more than ever before. People hear more and more about asbestos and asbestos exposure, and it is leaving them with a lot of questions. No one wants to be exposed to a hazardous fiber that can cause cancer and even death. We receive a lot of questions about how much asbestos exposure is too much. The answer is fairly simple, any amount of asbestos exposure is hazardous. Even trace amounts of asbestos exposure can eventually cause debilitating illnesses. Below, we will discuss asbestos exposure in more detail.

Asbestos Exposure and Illnesses

Asbestos is found in a lot of residential and commercial properties throughout the United States. It was once thought that only older buildings were of concern, but that is not the case. We are finding newly built properties with trace amounts of asbestos in the materials. Asbestos exposure occurs when an asbestos-containing material breaks down from wear and tear, remodels, and even disasters like storm damage.

Asbestos is easily inhaled through your mouth and nose. This happens without your knowledge, which makes asbestos exposure even more dangerous. Asbestos-related illnesses do not occur immediately. It is regularly years or even decades before people see any symptoms. While we do see more illnesses from those who work in industries that commonly have asbestos, we are seeing more children and people that are exposed through their own homes.

Any amount of asbestos that is inhaled can lead to mesothelioma, lung cancer, and other respiratory illnesses. If there is a possibility you have been exposed, it is vital that you tell your doctor. They will be able to run tests and keep an eye out for any damages to your lungs, abdomen, or heart that is related to asbestos exposure. Testing your house is the best way to protect you and your family from asbestos exposure.