Asbestos was used in insulation for decades. Asbestos was not only heat resistant, but it was also durable and cost-effective. This made asbestos the perfect filler for insulation. Asbestos is a known carcinogen and causes severe cancers and respiratory illnesses. Asbestos was used in insulation throughout the 1980s. We have seen even newer homes having asbestos fibers in the insulation.

With more and more asbestos stories in the media, people are becoming concerned about the welfare of their families. Is there asbestos in my home? Is it safe to live there? We receive these questions on a regular basis. Asbestos insulation is very dangerous. Asbestos fibers are small and can break off of the insulation and move throughout your home. Air ducts are a common source of transportation for asbestos fibers.
Insulation with asbestos can easily be disturbed either through remodels, projects, rodents, or general wear and tear. Unfortunately, there is only one way to determine if your home’s insulation has asbestos. Certified asbestos abatement professionals complete asbestos testing. Samples are gathered and sent a lab for testing. If you own a home, it is a great idea to have the home and insulation tested for asbestos, as it is very dangerous to you and your family’s health. Asbestos exposure occurs without you knowing it. Once inside your body, asbestos fibers lie dormant for decades until you begin to see symptoms.

If you have not had a test for asbestos completed, it is important that you do not disturb the insulation. Do not complete any remodels or projects that could interfere with the insulation until it is tested. Do not store or enter your basement or attic, as that can also disturb the insulation and cause asbestos fibers to break off. Once tested, you can go about your healthy lives, knowing your family is safe!